August 24, 2011

My favorite organic lip balms (Part 1)

These are some of my fave lip balm brands so far:
Silk Naturals
Bubble & Bee Organic
Alverde

A short review:
All of them are smooth and creamy and they all moisturize perfectly (I use a lip balm like 3 times a day). Alverde is more waxy than the other two. They get softer in strong heat, but don't melt. I store them in fridge anyway when it's over 30C / 86F and they don't harden too much and get applied smoothly (unlike the Lotion Stick that B&B makes which is like giant lip balm - that stays waxy and very hard all the time, even in over 39C / 102F heat).

Both SN and B&B make sweetened and unsweetened lip balms, but I prefer unsweetened. Sweet lip stuff feels like I'm eating some candy. Which is a feeling I need to avoid. The yummy fruity or minty scent though is something I don't mind at all, as far as it's made from essential oils.

Alverde lip balm is a bit bigger and holds more products than the other two.
B&B and SN lip balms come sealed and Alverde lip balm comes in paper packaging. 
B&B and SN have impressive ingredients lists and I will keep buying them. It would be even more impressive if they were vegan, but organic beeswax is acceptable to me.


Silk Naturals Refreshing Herb Organic Lip Balm 
Ingredients: Olive*, Castor*, Jojoba*, & Avocado Oils, Beeswax*, Candelilla Wax*, Hemp & Cranberry Oils, Carnuaba Wax*, Essential Oils of Fennel, Peppermint, Lemon, Rosemary, Basil.  *=Certified Organic
http://host.silknaturals.com/creb/refreshing-herb-organic-balm-p-1164.html
- claimed over 90% organic, but no certificate presented

My rating: 4/5



Bubble and Bee Organic Rude Raspberry Lip Balm

Ingredients: Organic sunflower oil, organic cocoa butter, organic beeswax, organic raspberry extract, organic vanilla extract, organic lemon essential oil, stevia.


Alverde Calendula Lip Balm (Lippen-Balsam)  
Ingredients: Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Hydrogenated Coco Glycerides, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Copernica Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract*, Magnesium Stearate, Aroma (Flavour)**, Linalool**, Benzyl Benzoate**, Tocopherol.
* Ingredients from certified organic agriculture
** From natural essential oils
- certified organic by BDIH

- available at "dm" stores in few European countries

My rating: 3/5


All 3 together

I definitely recommend trying them! Not just these showed here, try any other scent these brands carry! I enjoyed all I have tried.

5 comments:

Rakhshanda said...

Great faves!!! Thanks for sharing :D

Katie said...

Nice review! Got to love lip balm!

www.ma-belleamie.blogspot.com

glaciajo said...

Thanks for listing your favorites. I'm tempted to get more, but I don't want to neglect the others...heh. I currently use Theraneem Organix Neem Stick Lip Therape (long name..for severe dryness) and Better Botanicals Ayurvedic Lip Balm (which can withstand warmer temps). Thanks again.

Kourtney Linebaugh said...

Where do you buy your favorite lip balms? I typically have to go to a local health food store. Are these mainly online brands?

Thanks for the recommendation.

Kourtney L.
(samvidbeauty.com)

maggielet said...

@ Kourtney L.
I *wish* I could buy them locally, unfortunately truly natural and organic cosmetics aren't available around my area (thumbs down for overpriced "greenwashing" products in Spain).

I bought the Alverde lipbalm in Slovakia in the "dm" drugstore, an Austrian company which also has branches over few European countries, like Germany, Czech rep., Hungary, Romania...

Otherwise yes I buy them online. Check the provided links in the post. Bubble&Bee is my new favorite organic company, and more lip balms (and other stuff) are on the way so more reviews too!

Another brand I'd like to try soon is the "Hurraw" vegan organic lipbalms, those are available online as well.