October 14, 2011

REVIEW: Bubble & Bee Organic Shampoo

Bubble & Bee makes (USDA certified) organic face and body care products. They are based in Utah, US and their website only offers shipping to US, but in fact, they will ship intl', just contact them. I am not in any way affiliated with B&B, I bought the products myself and I'm writing this review just because I like the products and want to share my opinion.

They have two shampoos in range - Organic Lemon Shampoo and Organic Peppermint & Tea Tree Shampoo. I've tried both and I love them both! Here's why.

The most interesting thing is, what they are made from, and how you use them.  

Ingredients of Organic Lemon Shampoo
Saponified organic oils of coconut, olive & jojoba, organic lemon essential oil, vegetable glycerin, guar gum, sweet almond oil, organic jojoba oil, rosemary extract. 

Ingredients of Organic Peppermint & Tea Tree Shampoo:
Saponified oils of organic coconut, olive, and jojoba, vegetable glycerin, organic sweet almond oil, organic macadamia nut oil, organic jojoba oil, organic peppermint essential oil, organic tea tree essential oil, organic spearmint essential oil, guar gum, rosemary extract.

Yes, no sulphates and no water! But they are liquid though and look like any shampoo. 

 They have nice honey yellow color and lovely subtle scent.  

How to use them: 
Please read the instructions and advice on the website. It's pretty much like using common shampoo with few differences. You don't need a conditioner afterwards, only the vinegar rinse.
How I use them: 
I wet my hair and massage the shampoo into hair. I use to add a bit of baking soda to the shampoo and blend on my hand before applying to hair, to combat the hard water leaving a scum on your hair (so that the hair will not appear limp and greasy after the wash).   
You don't need to use a lot of shampoo, instead lightly pour some more water 1 or 2 more times during the shampooing to get rich bubbly lather without wasting product. 
Then I rinse with water, then with the vinegar rinse (use the rinse bottle coming free with the shampoo OR use 1 to 3 tbsp of organic apple cider vinegar (the harder the water the more vinegar you shall use) + 500ml/16oz water in a bottle or large tall cup) and again rinse with water. Done! 

The results:
 
My hair after the wash. Dried naturally, no styling. 
 I've been using it for about 2 weeks.

Shinier and softer hair. Less fly-aways and frizz. Of course, you will see the change better as the hair will grow new, shiny and healthy without harsh chemicals.
It also washes things like hair spray with no problem.

PROS: 
+ Natural and organic ingredients
+ Contains no water, concentrated product
+ lathers well
+ Smells nice
+ You don't need a conditioner
+ The product comes sealed

CONS:
- pricier for a bottle, but will last very very long
- intl' shipping cost 

Last two things I learned:
1. If you use this shampoo and it doesn't lather well, and once your hair is dry, it appears limp or oily, you probably have hard water and need to add baking soda to the shampoo or rinse hair with baking soda solution before you shampoo.
2. I don't suggest using coconut oil or other oils as a treatments on full hair, as you would normally use before wash. Because this shampoo already contains nourishing oils, you don't need it and you can't wash the heavy oil out with this shampoo, as I learned the hard way. But applying just a bit of oil or butter at the drier ends after washing, is fine. 

Rating: 5/5

5 comments:

Kourtney Linebaugh said...

I like the idea of this. I heard about people just using the baking soda followed with an apple cider rinse. I like the idea of adding the shampoo for the oils.

I am interested in trying this I am just worried it is too many steps...Is the process time consuming (mixing the backing soda, then shampoo, then mixing the vinegar)?

maggielet said...

@ Kourtney. I know it sounds time consuming, but it's not at all. I only wanted to describe it precisely. Throwing the things in the bottle and filling them up (with a bit of shake for the soda) takes about one minute.

Melissa said...

Great post all natural products are best. Natural organic shampoo is the best for your hair.
best organic shampoo

victor bao said...

Thanks for sharing this great content, I really enjoyed the insign you bring to the topic, awesome stuff!
Organic shampoos

Organic Shop said...

We asked men about what makes a woman look either classy or messy? Strikingly, all of them recalled one thing- their hair do! Interestingly your hair, the most forgotten beauty asset, is your most important beauty tip that you often forget to take care of. But all of the girl gang has their basics right- shampooing. Probably not? Let’s check out.